Envisioning and creating sets, environments, and interactive interiors is a lifelong pursuit. Our efforts have appeared in venues both large and small. ArtOutside, Festival of The Goddess, Showdown at Unobtainium, Google’s “League of Extraordinary Hackers” SxSW 2012, Spectralpanopticon and Flipside are some of our notable projects. A major high success was creating the interior for the “Texas Souk of The Senses”, an Honorarium project located at the base of the effigy for BurningMan, 2014. This was well received, and led to creating the interior of the personal space of the founder and head of the BurningMan festival, Larry Harvey,
I have enjoyed working on a number of enormously creative and lively projects with director, Maggie Duval, of Learning Innovations in Future Education (LIFE) to organize and bring to life a world outside our world.
Costume Design and Consultation
As a costume designer, Amelia’s owner, Jane Clarke, has over 30 years experience using costumes to create, express, define and clarify characters for film and the theater. Drawing on her extensive knowledge of fashion history, Ms. Clarke is able to assemble historically accurate outfits that impart both depth and dimension. As a social anthropologist, Ms. Clarke draws on our collective memory to express a character in a way that is memorable and easily recognizable. Though Amelia’s may serve as an initial resource, she also maintains friendly contacts with dealers, vendors, seamstresses and wholesale houses across the globe.
Working collaboratively is part of the fun and challenge of the costume designers job, and Ms. Clarke is happy to engage with the director, production designer and actor to bring their vision to life.
One Amelia’s favorite jobs, eVer!!! was serving as Costume Designer for the hit play A Ride with Bob (from Austin to Tulsa), written by Anne Rapp and Ray Benson , and staring the band Asleep at The Wheel as The Texas Playboys. Telling the story of Bob Wills life, costumes covered 1917 to present day. ARWB toured for 11 years, and appeared on-stage at the Kennedy Center in DC, as well as numerous theaters across the US.
Amelia’s has also enjoyed working with award-winning designers, and the fun, creative costumers on many, if not most, of the feature films that have chosen to work in Austin.
- Burning Man, The Souk, Texas Souk of The Senses: Black Rock Desert, NV – these efforts led to being asked to assist with the creation of the Souk space of Larry Harvey, founding father of this annual, 70K+ attendee festival
- EFF Fundraiser and Party, SXSW Interactive: Austin, TX
- Art Outside, Artists Lounge: Apache Pass, TX
- “Showdown at Unobtainium: Tesla vs. Edison”, The Ball Farm: Dale, TX – a two day festival with vendors, art installations, live music, film, maker spaces, roll playing, demonstrations and gunfights…a Steampunk Town!
- Barbadoes Showcase, ArtSpace, SXSW Music: Austin, TX
- “Airship Pantasmagoria”, Art Outside – set for interaction and roll play of actors and participants of the festival
- “Spectral Panopticon”: Round Top, TX – a Victorian themed Halloween party similar in scope to “Showdown at Unobtainium”:
A great crew is essential to realizing any project’s full scope of possibility and even to expand the original vision. I have been incredibly lucky to work with talented, hardworking and fun-loving individuals on all projects.